Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Jumping Into the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge

Might as well keep the posts coming...


I mentioned in my last post that I've signed up for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. I've followed the previous two challenges, and the whole event really makes for an interesting season of blog-watching. Just seeing the incredible diversity of peoples' projects is fascinating. But actually participating lends an extra layer to the whole thing, as it's a great way to crank through a bunch of "ongoing" or "unstarted" projects that have been lingering too long.

The first challenge I followed I only discovered after it had started. I sat out last year's challenge because the rules stipulated historical figures only, and at the time I was only working on fantasy/sci-fi projects...only to subsequently find out that the rules had been changed that year to allow all types of figures! So I've been looking forward to finally get a chance to participate this year.

I've got a display cabinet for my minis, and it's currently about half-filled with assembled and primered figures. My hope is that by the end of the challenge in March, the cabinet will be filled with 100-percent-painted figures. Here's what I'm hoping to knock out over the course of the challenge:

  • Finish up my Epic40K Titan Legion--essentially, this consists of finishing the Titan Defense Platoon, as all the actual Titans are already finished.
  • Paint my Epic40K Ork army. Holy crap, this is going to be the doozy of the projects, as it's three whole clans plus Gargants (Ork titans) and assorted support vehicles. Very much looking forward to seeing this completed and taking a place of honor in my display cabinet.
  • I've got two buntai for Ronin, the samurai skirmish game: Bushi (a samurai and his retinue) and Ikko-Ikki (fanatical peasant rabble rousers). Maybe 15-20 figures max.
  • I'm diving back into WW2, this time with an eye towards finally doing some Berlin '45 street fights. (This has been a project I've been wanting to do for over a decade now, and Warlord is putting out some great kits for this era, so I'm taking the plunge.)
  • I don't think I'm going to wait for the start of the Challenge in December to carry on with my Malifaux projects, but if I've still got some unpainted figures in the queue at that time, I'll certainly add them to my points total.

That should keep me well occupied for the winter! I've set a goal of 750 points, which I think should cover what I want to paint. I was too lazy to count every single figure and vehicle, so I just eyeballed. If you want to get in on the action, head over to this post and leave a comment. The only entry fee is to paint a figure to match the theme of the year and send it to Curt, the event organizer, before the close of the contest. This year's theme is "Anti-Heroes, Rogues and Ruffians" and I wasn't really sure what I was going to paint until, quite by accident, I just happened to run across this figure yesterday:


To which I can only say...

Oh...yeah...

2 comments:

  1. That is a very cool miniature! I've yet to see the movie but it's on my to-do list for the Christmas break. Again, welcome aboard the Challenge David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the challenge. I'll be looking for your entries.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...