Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Last Look at the 10mm Samurai...and Looking Ahead


As I mentioned in an update to my last post, my 10mm samurai collection found a buyer! It's currently winging its way across the Canadian border and in the meantime I've put in some orders for 28mm samurai to reboot the project in a new scale. Before I talk about that, I thought I'd share a couple more pictures that I took of the small percentage of the 10mm collection that I actually managed to paint and base:





Objectively, I was quite pleased with how the painted figures turned out, but seeing them painted and based is really what convinced me that the small scale really wasn't for me. I'm tremendously excited to get my brush to work on a larger scale. Some of the new samurai have already arrived and I can tell I'm going to have a blast working on them.

I've decided to stick with the original time and place I had initially researched for the 10mm project (I ended up painting the 10mm figures as members of the Uesugi/Takeda allied clans): the wars of Matsudaira Motoyasu (the future Tokugawa Ieyasu) against the local Ikko Ikki temples in his home province of Mikawa. Since the wars started with minor skirmishes that eventually escalated into a major battle, I figure we can start out with skirmishes and gradually escalate to larger engagements as I get more and more figures painted up, nicely paralleling the historical arc of the conflict. I was also quite pleased to see that Wargames Factory is now offering a range of plastic samurai and ashigaru, which will help me fill out the ranks of the metal Perry and Kingsford figures at a nice price point.

At any rate, a salute to one of my great "holy grail" projects and to more developments to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...